Tuesday, January 25, 2011

potlucks

Potlucks are a germaphobe's nightmare. Some people have no qualms grabbing community/shared food with their fingers. People sneeze and breathe into the food. I guess potlucks are not too much different than a buffet but some potlucks don't have enough serving utensils so the chances of people grabbing food with their fingers are high AND potlucks don't have sneeze guards to protect me from the coughing and sneezing of others. At least buffets have the illusion of a sneeze guard to help me sleep easier at night. Two of the worst things I ever witnessed at a potluck had to do with toes and hands. In one incident, I watched someone massage her bare feet with her hands and then reach into a bag of chips. At another potluck someone had dumped out a bag of chips into a bowl. After the potluck, she proceeded to grab the chips in the bowl and put them back into the bag, handful by handful. She then brought this bag of chips for a second potluck... Lesson: Never eat from an opened bag of chips that you haven't been watching like a hawk.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAH~

    The worst thing about a germaphobe is that we often have to turn down food that we'd normally eat because of cleanliness.

    I'm a double dipper.

    I grab whatever is it by the center, dip one side, eat it, then dip the opposite side and finish it. Whenever I do this I observe people after me to see if any of them double dip. The kicker is that they dont do opposite sides. They do the same side that was in their mouth. I laugh a little inside then remove that dish from the safe zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what else popped into my head?

    People who offer you "help" when the piece of pizza you're trying to grab wont come off cleanly by grabbing the adjacent piece (because, as germaphobes we're trying desperately not to touch anything we're not going to eat) to act as a counter force--but then just leave the piece still attached to the whole and dont actually intend on eating it.

    I've always thought that was weird. I could have just touched it with my bare hands and it would have probably been better over all since my hands are probably the cleanest there.

    When will people realize that the "issue" here is that we're trying to not contaminate community food? The issue isnt that we're not capable of separating a piece of pizza from the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I go out to eat with a coworker, she loves to tell the food staff that I'm a germaphobe and require my own personal dipping sauce if her and I end up sharing fries or something. Haha.. I would probably freak out if someone tried to step in and help me separate a pizza slice. I usually make a big show of grabbing a clean napkin to separate the slices of pizza and then announce to everyone that is the way to do things around here. :D

    ReplyDelete