Thursday, December 2, 2010

There has been a lot of air time about the security measures taken at the airports. Prior to my flight I researched how people were dealing with the pat downs and body scans. I hoped that I wouldn't need to have either but thought about which I would choose should I be so unlucky. My friend said, "You have three options. Get the pat down, the body scan, or just scream 'Don't touch my junk!'" While the last option seemed incredibly tempting, I also didn't want to miss my flight. On the way to the airport, I heard a radio segment about the security measures. The reporter said that the TSA agents did not change their gloves when searching different people. This was very disturbing to myself and the reporter because the reporter went on to say that TSA agents had to reach in certain areas, oftentimes under clothing, and all that touching meant transmittal of germs and bacteria. I made a mental note to ask the TSA agent to put on a new pair of gloves. In deciding the lesser of the two evils, I concluded that I would probably choose the pat down versus the body scan. Who knows how much radiation results from the body scan? When you get an x-ray at the dentist, the dentist puts on that big heavy blanket to shield the radiation, but you walk through this body scan completely exposed to all the radiation. While the pat down seemed equally horrible and violating, at least I could avoid the radiation. Thankfully I didn't have to make that decision this time! I can only hope to be so lucky next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment